(NewsUSA) – It is possible to care for, even pamper, your pet on a budget or fixed income. By planning carefully and making smart shopping decisions, you can save money on food, toys and treats.
– Save money on everyday essentials, such as pet food, by shopping at deep discount stores. Forty percent of the money Americans spend on pets is for food. You will find savings on name-brand pet food at a deep discount store such as Dollar General. Remember that you can save even more by buying private label food. Many private label products are equivalent to the national brands.
– Find lower-cost medical care. Local humane societies often sponsor free or reduced-price clinics for routine vaccinations or spaying or neutering. Learn about clinics offered in your area, which can save you from expensive vet visits. And, you don’t always have to visit the vet for some medical treatments. Dewormer, ear mite treatment and other medications are available over-the-counter.
– Enjoy the great outdoors with your favorite animal -; which doesn’t cost anything. For outdoor or indoor fun, your pet will need a few basic accessories like a leash, collar and water bowl. All of these inexpensive items are available at deep discount stores.
– Skip the pet day spa and groom your animal at home. You can save a lot of money by bathing and grooming your animal yourself. All you need to set up your own pet spa are shampoo, conditioner, a brush or comb, a hair dryer and nail clippers.
– Potty training and maintenance for pets can also be affordable. Deep discount stores such as Dollar General offer cat litter, litter pans, scoops and liners. Puppy pads are available for puppies that are being trained.
While buying the basics for your favorite animal, don’t forget to pick up a toy or treat. Dogs love toys, snacks or rawhide bones. Cats enjoy exercising on a scratching post or munching on catnip.
(NewsUSA) – You look forward to your vacation, but leaving your furry friends behind is more than you can handle. Luckily, it’s easier than ever to bring your pets along for the ride.
There are plenty of pet -friendly lodging establishments, restaurants, and a slew of gear and other pet products that make traveling with Fido and Fluffy more comfortable. Consider trying the following tips before packing your pets’ travel bags:
* Plan ahead. Prepare to include your pets in the fun by making a list of the extra gear and supplies that you will need and any special reservations that you may require. Include food, litter, leashes, toys, beds, medications and pet carriers. Just to be safe, carry notes regarding your pet’s medical history and your veterinarian’s contact information.
* Have a practice round. If your pet is not used to car or plane travel, introduce him to the carrier prior to departure. Toss in a favorite toy or familiar object and take a spin around the block. Make sure that the carrier is airline-compliant and sturdy enough to make the trip.